Thursday, September 25, 2014

A summer of change...

Well keeping in my normal fashion of only writing blogs when I stumble upon some fascinating tibit or when some major change happens in my life, here's another post about change.

For those of you who know me I have been working my way through various management positions at BJs wholesale club for the past 5 years now. It has been rewarding, chalenging and fun, but it has also come to an end. I decided recently to make a change and take on a new opportunity which you will soon hear about at another time but the reasons for the change are simple, closer to home and a better work life balance. It will make it easier for me to be home and spend time with my growing family. That's right in case you missed it earlier, Rachel and I are expecting a baby due in early March and we couldn't be more thrilled! (That's change number two) amidst the hustle and bustle of preparing for a new life to enter our family, and preparing to change jobs, Rachel and I encountered something very unexpected... As many of you know Rachel and I did not live in our house alone. Shortly after purchasing our house three years ago we also bought a bearded friend, sawyer. He was a rambunctious, energetic, and sometimes annoying german wired haired pointer. We did everything that we thought we needed to do for this dog, gave him love, played with him, and exercised him. It wasn't enough. Shortly after finding out Rachel was pregnant we started realizing that we had allowed him to "rule the roost" and we knew we needed to change that before the baby came. Unfortunately he wasn't so willing to change and started to act out and show signs of aggression. Knowing that we could not have him around a baby acting like that we contacted the breeder, who had warned us about these dogs and their tendencies to be dominant if you let them, and she willingly took him back. It was by far the toughest thing I have ever had to do in my life. To feel like I failed this dog. He was apart of our family for 3 years and now he is not. Those of you who are dog owners will completely understand where I am coming from and those who are not, well, get a dog and you'll see. Since this all happened Rachel and I have found our ways to deal with the pain of losing a best friend. The easiest way for me to deal with it is by just knowing that the decision we made was what was best for us and for sawyer. Knowing that he is with someone who is very good with these dogs also helps. 

Getting ready to have a baby has changed the way I look at life. No longer and I simply a husband, but I am going to also be a father, a protector, a mentor, and a teacher. It's scary and exciting all at the same time! Am I ready? No, but I'm learning. Am I going to enjoy this next challenge? You better believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment